Sunday, March 14, 2010

northside makers market

Yesterday I took the big plunge into the marketing world...Actually it wasn't the first time I have had a market stall selling stuff I've made but it is the first time in over 12 years so I was a little nervous about it all.

As discussed in previous posts most of my travelling is done on foot or public transport as I don't have my drivers licence.  Yesterday I decided that getting to the market would be no different.  The market is only a 30 min walk from my place and jug covers are relatively easy to carry.  I pulled old Red Bessie out of the shed and loaded her up.

Red Bessie

(I'm very fond of Red Bessie.  I purchased her at a trash and treasure market about 15 years ago for $5 bucks and she has been a very useful addition to my non-driving life)

What can I say about the market?  Perfect weather, perfect company and an overall perfect day.  I had a place on the communal stall and spent most of my day chatting with Leonie whilst she knitted and I crocheted.  Liz also spent time on the stall selling her gorgeous lino creations and Melinda dropped by to sell her things for a little while too and had me in stitches!

Northside Makers Market

There were lots of hellos and visits from other crafty bloggy people and I ended up selling 5 jug covers out of the 15 there, two of which this lovely lady bought.  I was really, really happy with the result because I didn't really think I'd sell that many.  This isn't because I think they aren't worth buying, I love them,  it's just that they are not to everyone's taste or requirements.  How many people are looking for something to keep bugs out of their jugs??

So what did I learn about selling at markets?

  • I'm a lousy spruiker and spruiking makes an enormous difference.  I'm actually rather shy believe it not and feel terribly awkward. 
  • I am much better at spruiking everyone else's stuff than my own, go figure. Melinda and Leonie are queens of the spruik.
  • I don't have the ambition to make what I create more than what it is, a hobby but I will still do it on occasion anyway.  You just never know.
  • Northside Makers Market is a well organised, friendly market; and
  • the craft market community is downright ace.

On that positive note, I'm off to use up some more tired bananas in a banana loaf.  I've just finished a batch of banana, honey and cinnamon choc-chip muffins and thought I'd try out this recipe.

Hope you all had a lovely weekend too. xo

17 comments:

yardage girl said...

Hello! Glad you enjoyed your day. My jug covers are right at home here - I just love them - you are very clever! I have just posted some pics over at my blog if you want to take a peek! Nic

CurlyPops said...

Oh bugger! I didn't even come outside for a look (blame it on my lack of sleep last week). Is that pink and orange one still available by any chance?

Jennie said...

Five out of fifteen is a fantastic sales record! If I sold a third of my stock every market I did I'd be laughing. Very glad you had a lovely day! :-)

Margaret said...

Ohh! my friends are very jealous of my lovely black doily with beads to put over my daiquiri jug in summer!

Beky said...

Once again I didn't get to go outside. Bugger.

Kylie said...

Congratulations Melanie - sounds like a great day :)
I'm with you on the inability to spruik own wares. Good to be in the company of spruikers though and nice that it was all so relaxed and social. Kx

p.s. I make Kirsty's banana bread at least once a week here - my clan love it.

Unknown said...

What a great experience and making sales to boot..YAY!!!!

Blossomnbird said...

Hi Melanie...the market sounds like fun, congrats on your sales :)...wish I could have dropped by too. And Bessie well she is just gorgeous!!
(loving your 'new' banner too)
karen

Leonie Guld said...

Oh...how fantastic to see you using your bag and it look fab on RED bessie!!! Congratulations on your stall!!!

Alisa : Ink Caravan said...

Sounds like it was a great day. Love Red Bessie, she's got personality! : )

I've been wondering about markets myself but I suspect I too would be a bit shy despite the fact that I adore a good chinwag.

Beck said...

It sounds like the market went well and I've seen your jug covers elsewhere in blogland so you must have sold a few!!

june at noon said...

So glad it went well. Your jug covers look fantastic!

becclebee said...

we wandered through the market on sat'day and thought i recognised your jug covers... they really are very lovely up close (you were busy chatting, and i didn't want to interrupt). well done for your market adventure!

Jodie said...

Your market display looks great!!! Well done for selling 5 covers... I love jug covers and think that every home sould have at least half a dozen.. ;)

Hugs
Jodie :)

Kylie said...

Well done and congrats, it's so much nicer doing something scary when you have friends to do it with, go the communal stall! Just had a thought I always keep a glass of water by my bed at night and always wonder if something buggy might fall in one day so mabey mini cup covers for something different?

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

What a cool market gang you have going on there!! Love Posie

sanjeet said...

I just love them
home jobs india