Sunday, April 12, 2009

Rhubarb Crumble

Happy Easter everyone and what a beautiful day it is in Melbourne today.  It's picture perfect!!  The sun is out, it's not too hot and the sound of lawn mowers is resonating through the air.

Rhubarb Crumble

Well I can happily say that dinner on Friday night worked a treat.  My husband's bouillabaisse was sensational and my rhubarb crumble turned out beautifully.  As discussed in my previous post I decided to try a different way of preparing my rhubarb and crumble and got my inspiration from some David Herbert recipes in the weekend Australian a few weeks ago.  

David likes to prepare his rhubarb with orange rind and ginger and seeing as I love all three, it was a match made in heaven.  (Click here for his recipes).   I decided to prepare the rhubarb in the same way David prepares his ('My Way to Cook Rhubarb') except I decided to leave out the ginger as I was including ginger (aka ginger nut snap biscuits) in the crumble.  The orange with the rhubarb tastes amazing and I intend to do it again in the future.

Unfortunately I don't measure anything when I make a crumble so I don't have exact amounts but I can say that I used about half a pack of ginger nut snap biscuits, about a cup of plain flour, about a third of a cup of raw sugar and about 60g of chopped cold butter.  

First I crushed the biscuits into rough breadcrumbs in the food processor with the blade tool.  Then I changed the tool to the kneader and added the rest of the ingredients.  I turned it on and after a few minutes it was a perfect* crumble. 

*The crumble should not be too dry or too wet.  If it doesn't form clumps when you press small amounts together it is too dry - add more butter.  If it starts looking like a dough, it's too wet - add more flour.

Rhubarb Crumble

Because the crumble soaks up moisture, I held off adding the crumble to the cooked rhubarb until our guests arrived.  I then baked it at 170 degrees celsius for about 30 minutes (whilst we ate our mains) and then served with cream.  It was a perfect crumble - slightly crunchy and chewy at the same time. Mmmm

No comments: