Monday, October 19, 2009

Day 20 - word of the day & recipe

wotd - 20.10.09

...because it's my favourite vegetable (well it's up there with eggplant and green beans), it's the same colour as my hair and I love, love, love it so.

It's kind of the wrong time of year but here's one of my favourite beetroot recipes:

Beetroot Risotto
1 bunch of baby beets (if on small side, 6-7, if on large side 4-5) you can substitute for large beets too.  I'd recommend you use 2 good sized beets.
8 cups of stock (chicken or vegetable) water (or more depending on how much you need for risotto-ing)
100g butter
2 tbs olive oil
1 onion finely chopped
salt and pepper
1 splash of red wine
a spring of rosemary
200g of arborio rice
200g english salad spinach, blanched and drained well
2 tbs passatta (pasta sauce)
100g parmesan cheese
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Roughly dice washed beetroot and boil in stock water until tender.
In a separate saucepan heat oil and half of butter in a pan.  Add onion, rosemary and seasoning.
Add rice and stir until lightly toasted (you know, the risotto thing)
Add wine and a cup of the beetroot stock and continue to stir.  Gradually add stock and stir, waiting until rice absorbs each cup of stock before adding the next. (this should last for about 15 minutes or so).
Add spinach, (the chopped beets from the stock if you wish) and tomato sauce and cook for a further 2 minutes.
Add parmesan and remaining butter.  Serve.


* I scribbled this down years ago when watching a cooking show on tv.  If you have never cooked a risotto before then I recommend you check out a recipe with clearer instructions before attempting this one!!  

11 comments:

Kate said...

I'm crap at making risotto but I love the beetroot, it was the reason I got my picture in Vogue!

dillpickle76 said...

Now that's my kind of recipe ;)  Sounds delicious, too.

M* said...

ooo yes I bet your beetroot is the best too.  Do you grow other coloured beets?  I've tried.  I ended up with one sad looking yellow one.

M* said...

Oh it is!  It's soooooo yummy.  I wish I had a bowl now....

Kate said...

Kate Ulman and Brendon Eisner
www.daylesfordorganics.com

Kate said...

Oops, no idea how that happened. I wanted to say that Bren has a bit of a thing for heirloom varieties and I think he grows as many as he can get seeds for.

M* said...

LOL!  It's ok.  

Good on Bren.  I find a lot of the heirloom varieties tend to have a lot more interesting flavours.(she says as though she is an amazing gardener. scoff!)  A few of the heirloom tomatoes that have managed to rise from the couch grass hell I have for a yard have been divine.

Sherrin said...

oh yum!  I love beetroot too! will have to give this a go.

Happydacks said...

Such a Great color to have in your hair Mel!!

Kylie said...

Ooo, I do love beetroot so! I thought I was the only one. Even the spell-checker here is lighting it up with a red line saying it doesn't know the word! ;)  Thanks for the fab recipe. I'll be using it and I'll let you know how I go. K x

Queenotisblue said...

<span>That recipe looks delicious. I love beetroot and rice is my thing these days, so I'm going to give this a go. Thanks for sharing it.</span>