
Yep, they are. I love them. When I watch documentaries about them I often cry. When I see them in real life tears well up in my eyes. I think they are the most noble and beautiful creatures in the world and for some bizarre reason they affect me on an deep and emotional level. I have know idea why but wouldn't be surprised if it was because I was an elephant in a past life. There are some interesting parallels between elephants and myself but I'll save that for another post.
A close friend and colleague knows about my love for elephants and kindly bought me this tin when she was on holiday a couple of years back.

This tin travels with me where ever I go. (It's a double bonus that it's a Charlie and Lola tin)

It houses all my crochet hooks and other bits and pieces.

My clover crochet hooks (yellow handles) are my most precious possessions at the moment. I started using them to crochet with when I hurt my thumb. They make crocheting an absolute breeze. Not only does the handle assist ergonomically, it helps give more control over the hook especially with the finer work that I do. They are so beautiful to use and I love them as much as I love elephants.
I also store safety pins in there so I can keep count of my stitches, experimental bits of crochet, pencils, pens, etc and my ever reliable green snips. It's an everything I need tool-kit - a starr-kit.
My tin always has a travelling companion being whatever project I'm working on at the time and at the moment it happens to an orange and dark pink jug cover. Nice, easy and small enough to shove into a bag and take with you.
I guess my starr-kit is not exactly a weapon but it is my essential-can't-leave-home-or-crochet-without-it item.
Thanks to Mybricole for choosing the theme this week and to Pip for hosting.
Check out other secret weapons over here...


23 comments:
Elephants do that to me too Mel, also apes and big old trees! Really cute pencil tin!
Love it....I am a huge charlie and lola fan.....and as for the elephants...just "magical"
That tin is such a perfect fit for all your secret weapons!
What a beautiful tin! I love lauren Child's illustrations!
Love your tin of crochet goodies! When my mum was in Kenya recently she tried to get photos of elephants and every time they'd turn their backs to her (just her!). So, she has a collection of bum shots... and they still look utterly majestic and beautiful :) Kylie x
Wow, I love your elephant thing, what a wonderful animal to enjoy. They have beautiful eyelashes too don't they? Have you read the book...um..it was a bookclub book..can't think of the title. Anyway, it's about a circus and there is alot of elephant action in it. (I'll probably remember the title at three in the morning.) Your little tin is superb. What a great tin to hold the tools of your trade. I like your organisation, when I was crocheting it was more a ramshackle scene ie: where is my hook????!!! Perhaps that's why I didn't stick with it... xo
Love, love, love, love, love your elephant Charlie and Lola tin. That is the best secret weapon.
Tara (Waffling Along)
love your elephant tin and all the lovelies within..
elephants.... aren't they just gorgeous with those sad eyes and when you see them you want to take care of such a big animal which could actually take care of you? I am not that affected by them but I love watchnig them very closely...
I am using Clovers now as well - I treated myself with a full set for my birthday this year... they are fantastic!
That is such a lovely tin & such a great way to keep all your crochet bits and bobs together.
Looking forward to reading about your parallels to elephants - they're a very magestic and wise animal so if you're like them you're clearly on a winner!
I adore Lola. When the spouse travelled to the UK for work last year we begged for Lola goodies! What a great kit of tools!
elephants are so beautiful ~ i agree {funny to think u used to be one!}. cute tin. u have me itching to crochet ~ i made a motif lastnight!! first time i've tried anything other than something straight forward, was thinking of your hooks and their cool handles :)
What a gorgeous secret weapon ... so amazing. I was trying to think what to write for my secret weapon and you've just given me so much inspiration. Wow.
Don't freak out or anything. But I think I love you. I love your Charlie and Lola-Crochety-Elephanty Secret Weapon so much! Ack! Awesome. Great. Fantastic. Special.
Loving the elephants! I keep my teas in different elephant tins - it always makes a cuppa a bit more special. Great secret weapons!
you just reminded me i had a dream about elephants last night. i love that sassy little lola and charlie, what a tower of strength and dependability. your tin is awesome as are elephants and crochet
yay for elephants & super yay for fabulous Chaaaarlie & Lola!!
nice Melanie, i like ♥
Oh thats lovely, elephants are lovely :)
Now that's a great tin. Great on the outside - I agree, elephants are wonderful! And great on the inside - I love those ergonomic hooks! I only have one for now, but am planning on increasing that number very soon :)
Brilliant, what a tin of treasures, love it ;)
I love Charlie and Lola. I teach E.S.L and I read the books to them, i chuckle away and they just DONT GET IT! *sigh* meanwhile I don't have children so I'll read to myself. Another fantastic book I adore (and my students actually understand) is called "Don't Let Pigeon Drive the Bus". it is excellent! :)
Oh and I lov Charlie and Lola and elephants and I want to love crochet but I dont know how to do it :) Well I love looking at other people's crochet creations.
That tin is very lovely!
I love your secret weapon! that tin full of lovely hooks and other little bits is sooo lustworthy!
Post a Comment