Sunday, December 20, 2009

My place and yours: the 'me' wardrobe

Yet again, the my place and yours meme really made me have to think long and hard.  At first glance at the theme I thought 'Nope, nothing particularly unique or special in my wardrobe'.  However, whilst making some chocolate freckled biscuits yesterday I had a major 'Ah- ha!' moment.  There is something special about my wardrobe. In fact there are a number of special things in my wardrobe.  The thing that I cannot live without in my wardrobe is: the skirt.

You see, although I wear the pants in the family, I don't actually wear pants.  Underpants - yes, jeans, slacks , shorts - no.  I am skirt only wearer and could not live without them.  The skirt is so important to me that I quite often don't find skirts in stores that I like or if I do, they are so out of my price range that it isn't funny.   So I make all of my skirts.

My creation

I didn't realise how important my skirts were until I started to think about this post. I didn't even realise that I had made so many!  It was quite a realisation.  I have seemed to have completely underestimated the skirt's importance in my wardrobe and I have completely overlooked the fact that nearly every skirt I own is made by me.

For those of you that are professional sewers, you can probably tell I don't use a pattern.  I wing my patterns mostly from a similar skirt style I like.  Some of these skirts are purely casual and some double up for work.  My particular favourites are:

nothing but the rain...

I am a sci-fi geek and this is a quote from my favourite series Battlestar Galactica and from my favourite female role models on the show, Starbuck.

DSC04495

My woven skirt.  I had to pull this out of the wash to take a picture of it so it's looking a bit grotty.  I love this skirt because it's evolved since I first made it.  When I first made it I cut strips of the remnant fabric and created a woven design on the front.  As time has gone by, the strips have frayed and matted creating a really interesting texture.

DSC04500

My green spiral skirt.  I love this skirt.  I made it about 2 years ago and it has really lasted the distance.  I made it out of a thick stretch satin.  It's also been pulled out of the wash so apologies for it's crinkled state!

I could keep on going with my favourites but I won't.  I love all my skirts for different reasons.  They are often inspired out of the blue or out of a spontaneous purchase of fabric.  I have been planning a skirt for a while now in my head.  I am hoping I will get it done when I take some annual leave from work in a couple of weeks time.  I'll be sure to post about it.

Thanks goes to hostess with the mostess and the theme queen and make sure you check out other wardrobes here.

33 comments:

CurlyPops said...

Your skirt collection is amazing. I've just borrowed a skirt book from a friend so that I can make some for myself over the holidays. I'll be using yours as inspiration!

jeanamarie said...

I've seen you wearing the woven skirt and loved it - so unique and looks so great on you too :)

Karin said...

So so clever! I have a small addiction to denim skirts...

cathfromchunkychooky said...

wow!!! they are fantastic!!! You have so many great ideas...

De'Anna said...

Very UNIQUE I love them all!

Thea said...

It is an amazing collection. You really are a creative soul and I can imagine these really suit you. x

Jackie-The Back Shed said...

I rarely if ever wear anything but pants but your skirts are so amazing I think I could be persuaded if i had them in my wardrobe.

m.e (cathie) said...

nice Mel!! and they do look great on you aswell.
thanks for the tour of your fabulous skirt wardrobe.

Lauren said...

Oh wow, you're skirts are lovely! thank you for sharing!

Kate said...

How fantastic! Making your own skirts puts you in the next realm of craftperson I think. I am in awe and soooooo inspired. I just adore the big ric rac one! You are ace.

marian said...

wow your skirts are little treasures..each a work of art & made with love..a truly lovely and inspiring post :)

Anonymous said...

What beautiful skirts you make! stunning!

Cherry said...

Oh I'm a skirt girl too - in fact aside from a pair of jeans all I own are skirts (and dresses).  ps - I'm a huge BSG fan too! So Good!

Umatji said...

wow - great skirt making! I have so many - nearly a skirts but only just an idea - but you are a true queen for coming through with the goods! I also found your post of main parent biz and loved it - so wonderful!

Jennie said...

I can;t believe you made a BSG skirt! What a geek (in a wonderful way).

M* said...

Thanks Cam.  If you need to ask any questions you know where to find me.

M* said...

Aww thanks Jeana.  Much appreciated.  I know my taste isn't everybody's so I appreciate it very much

M* said...

Thanks Cath. 

M* said...

Thanks Karin.  Yes, I went through a bit of denim phase myself.  I only featured two but I have a third one too!

M* said...

Thanks De'Anna

M* said...

Thanks Thea. 

M* said...

Thanks Jackie.  That's a lovely thing to say

M* said...

My pleasure Cathie!

M* said...

It was my pleasure.  Thanks Lauren

M* said...

Aww gee shucks.  Thanks Kate.  You are ace too.

M* said...

Thanks Marian, such a lovely thing to say.

M* said...

ooo another BSG fan, so nice to meet another.  It's so good isn't it?

M* said...

Thanks Umatji!  I'm also glad you liked my parenting post too. 

M* said...

LOL, thanks Jennie, I am a geek and proud too!

Sandra Eterovic said...

Hi Melanie!  I haven't been able to log into your site from home, and I am so glad that I have been able to from work today (sshh).  I love your post!!  It's fantastic.  Your skirts are gorgeous, they look so special and flattering and they say so much about you!  Cool!!!  Merry Christmas.

Bernice said...

I love your skirts. It reminds me of a post I read by Gweneth Paltrow that talked about developing a 'uniform' either consciously or unconsciously. She thought it made dressing quick, easy and without thought - a must when you have small kids. Blue/grey skirts seems to be your uniform and such a groovy one too!

Lara (thornberry) said...

What fantastic skirts Melanie!  Love them - especially that you don't use patterns (I am a pattern addict and would like to break out of my shell a little).  I received a wonderful book for Christmas which is all about embellished skirts - 49 Sensational Skirts - I think you'd enjoy seeing it too.  Hope that you had a lovely Christmas (and I love your nativity scene photo)

Nikki said...

LOVE the skirts - great designs and they don't look home-made at all. A lot of us "professionals" wing it without a pattern, too....it's all about the result - and your results are great.