Thursday, July 16, 2009

friday favourites...

Well it's been a busy week and I've found it hard to find the time to post let alone read blogs. But I knew that whatever happened during the week I would make sure I posted today. So here I sit frantically before work, hair wet and running very late!!

Last year I was approached by a friend and colleague who wanted me to teach her how to knit. I was more than happy to show her, I only know plain, purl, cast on and cast off but that's enough to get anyone started! I sat down with her one lunch time and taught her the basics.

After a few months my friend had blossomed into a competent knitter. She bought herself knitting books and started to branch into a lot of stitch experimentation. I was so proud of her (still am). There is nothing like seeing a protege grow and become more experienced than their teacher. I had to laugh on a number of occasions because she would sometimes come to me for stitch/knitting advice and I'd have to tell her that what she was doing was way out of my league and I couldn't help at all!

So the point of the post is...??? The point of the post is that I had a coffee with my friend this week and she pulled out this scarf she has been working on. I was so blown away by it. It looks amazing and it's so beautiful She is so clever and I am so happy that I was able to introduce her to a skill she is so good at. I hope the photo does it justice!!

Vanessa's Scarf

It's made from the same Noro yarn that I used to make this scarf but I think she does the yarn far more justice than me!

Want to join in with Friday Favourites? Add your name below

5 comments:

Mel said...

Holy Moly! That scarf is to die for! Can I have one too? This is a true case of that saying, "teach a man to fish ..." in this case, teach a woman to knit and she'll stay warm forever! (sorry - I need a coffee). Good on you Mel for passing on such a joyful skill. My mum is currently teaching my best friend to knit (they live in the same city), and she is now knitting jumpers! I'm still struggling with the same scarf I started 4 years ago!

I am joining in soon - just need to write for a bit ...

Cath from chunkychooky said...

WOW!!! thats is brilliant. I had the same thing happen when i taught a friend some basic mosaic techniques - he is amazing now and it blows me away at how modern and funky his mosaic is. I love it.

M* said...

Isn't it divine? It made me want to unpick my Noro and give it to her to make me one!

M* said...

It's a great feeling isn't it?

gemmipop said...

I taught a 12 year old girl in my knitting group how to make granny squares, and now she's making teeny tiny ones out of thin cotton, and they're amazing! It's not only lovely to see someone enjoy something that you've shown them, but that they can go on and make the technique their own, and it's always fab to see what someone else thinks up! I would never have the patience to do tiny squares, but they really are fabulous!