Sunday, October 11, 2009

jug cover

jug cover

Just thought I'd quickly throw in one extra post today about a jug cover I made during the week and finished yesterday.  The colour is a bit out in this photo as it's a little wet because it's being blocked.  It's a beautiful oldy worldy, dirty, musky pink.  I won't be able to take any photos of it once it's dry because I blocked it at my friends house and gave it to her as a late birthday gift. 'Dem de breaks'

I got the pattern from this book Vintage Crochet by Susan Cropper which, if you don't already know it, has some lovely vintage style patterns which are easy to follow.  I really loved making the jug cover and are thinking of whipping a few more as chrissy gifts.


18 comments:

Lara (thornberry) said...

Love it Melanie!  I've got that book and had forgotten all about this pattern.  Great Christmas idea!

Jenni said...

this is gorgeous & I love the modern take with the mismatched buttons, Lucky friend!

Kylie said...

I think crocheted jug covers are one of my favourite things in the whole universe :)  Thanks for showing this - I absolutely LOVE it. Kx

Kate said...

I wish there was a hyperventilating font. I LOVE IT!! I'm going to have to hunt down that book, thanks heaps for sharing.

Tania said...

I'm too scared to do anything other than squint. Could you just sloooooow down a tiny bit o the inspiration front. You know I have unfinished project issues.

Anonymous said...

Jug covers are wonderful, oldfashioned feeling, bits of ephemera. I cheated with mine and just sewed beads onto an existing doily. I love yours too. Cherrie

Nycole said...

ahh, the late handmade birthday present syndrome(!) I also suffer from this affliction... This one was worth waiting for - it's absolutely beautiful!

Gina Denholm said...

Oh I'm in love with this! Particularly because I have a few doilies and lots of buttons so I should be able to make one up without having to crochet a thing, he he. Totally gorgeous Melanie. xx

M* said...

Thanks Lara.  It is a good pattern and a lovely book.  A jug cover is a little different isn't it?

M* said...

Thanks Jenni. The mismatched buttons are a gorgeous touch.  It's a great book

M* said...

They are lovely aren't they?  So oldy worldy and quaint.  I love them too.

M* said...

I wish there was a paper bag emoticon that I could give to you!  The book is great.  It will give you home envy but if you're like me you will be used to it.  I bought the book at Dymocks so it's pretty easy to get hold of.

M* said...

LOL, I have unfinished projects too don't you worry about that. If it's something I can do in front of the tv it will get finished, well it's more likely too.  

M* said...

It's a good cheats idea.  They are beautiful and a good use for a favourite doily or three. 

M* said...

Thanks Nycole.  Yes, late birthday presents are a the bane of my existence but it's better that they're late and not never!!

M* said...

Thanks Gina.  I was really pleased with the result. It's good to put a doily to good use.  I have so many in my cupboard and don't bring them out often because they just end up getting messed up by the cave people  (whom I love dearly!) I live with. They just don't get the loveliness of them!

elizabeth of course said...

Holy crap that's great. I can't imagine whipping those out, I'd get all llost in the pattern and be all messed up, haha! Wonderful job!

M* said...

Thanks Elizabeth.  It's really not that hard a pattern.  The instructions are really straight forward.  I'm sure you'd be able to make one!  You're great at crocheting!